Tag: Mines & Quarries


Trafalgar Arch

Between Serridge Junction and Drybrook Road, the Severn and Wye Railway ran close to the large spoil heap of Trafalgar Colliery. Read More


Union Colliery Disaster Memorial

The Union Colliery was owned by the Parkend Deep Navigation Collieries Co. Ltd, who, from 1892, developed an earlier pit on the same site. Read More


Venus & Jupiter Colliery

Venus & Jupiter gale was granted to George and James Baldwin in 1841, who sold it to Thomas Protheroe and Thomas Phillips. Read More


Whimsey Colliery

Whimsey Colliery was begun in 1737, when it as known as Major Wade’s Suff. By 1833 it was known as The Whimsey or Major Lough Colliery and was galed to... Read More


Wimberry Colliery

Wimberry Colliery was situated on Old Furnace Level gale, and was already in existence when the Severn and Wye Railway's Wimberry branch tramroad was built in about 1810. Read More


Winning Colliery

Winning or Winner Colliery formed part of Bilson Colliery and later part of Crump Meadow, all of which were originally owned by Edward Protheroe, with Aaron Goold acting as his agent. Read More


Woodside Colliery

Although the gales were not granted at that time, work on Woodside Colliery, by Giles Griffiths and others, was begun in 1832. Read More

Back to Top