OS Grid Reference: SO589124
There was a colliery here (Thatched Pit) in 1841, owned by John Lewis. A 198 ft shaft, worked by a horse whim, was used to exploit the Coleford High Delf Seam of the Pennant Group. Production was about 2400 tons/year. A branch of the Monmouth Tramroad had already been extended to Thatch Pit by this date. The colliery was idle by December 1896, but was re-opened in 1920. There was a sale of equipment in December 1932, and it is not clear if any more work was done. Very bad. Small overgrown tips near SO 589124 may be part of Thatch Colliery, and there are similar tips about 300 metres to the northeast, across the Coleford-Edge End road. There are stone-lined shafts at SO 588125 and 589125, although these could be part of New Found Out colliery. (Oct. 2002).