Category: Heritage Sites


Addis Hill Colliery

The gale was being worked by James Cowmeadow by 1841, although there seems to have been no production between 1841 and 1845; 2074 tons of coal were produced in 1846. Read More


All Saints' Church Blakeney

Dating from 1820 the chapel was a rebuild of an existing smaller early 18th century chapel. Read More


All Saints' Church Viney Hill

This Victorian church was begun in 1865 and consecrated in 1867, and was built as a memorial to Charles Bathurst. Read More


Angus Buchanan Recreation Ground, Coleford

Angus Buchanan was born in Coleford in 1894. He went to St John’s Boys School Coleford and Monmouth Grammar School. He won a scholarship to Jesus College, Oxford. Read More


Arthur and Edward (Waterloo) Colliery

The Arthur & Edward gale was worked by Benjamin Gwilliam and Thomas Butler from the mid-1830s, two shafts being sunk to work the Coleford High Delf Seam in the Pennant... Read More


Bank House

Bank House, was built in Back Lane, now Bank Street, probably by James Coster in 1786. It was a rich man's house, with an adjacent coachhouse, malthouse and dovehouse. Read More


Bathurst Park, Lydney

Before 1850, Lydney and Newerne were two separate villages, the area in between, now Hill Street, was farm land and buildings; as late as 1963 there was an orchard on... Read More


Bixlade Tramway Blocks

The Bicslade (sic) Tramroad was a branch off the Severn and Wye Railway’s 3 ft 6 in. gauge tramroad from Lydney to Lydbrook, which opened in 1810. Read More


Bixlade Tramway Rails

The Bicslade (sic) Tramroad was a branch off the Severn and Wye Railway’s 3 ft 6 in. gauge tramroad from Lydney to Lydbrook, which opened in 1810. Read More


Bixslade Colliery

There was a colliery in Bixslade at least by the 1790s, when James Teague was a partner in Bixslade Water Engine Pit. Read More

Back to Top