Resources


Eastern United Colliery

The Eastern United Colliery gale was one of seven areas into which the deep gales of the coalfield were amalgamated by the 1904 Dean Forest (Mines) Act. Read More


Education in the Forest of Dean

The educational system of the Forest of Dean has its roots principally in the missionary work of Anglican ministers in the early 19th century. P. M. Read More


Ellwood Lodge

In the early 19th century, when the royal demesne of the Forest was replanted, 24 small lodges were established to house woodmen to guard and maintain the new inclosures. Read More


Fairplay Iron Mine

The most extensive remains of fairplay Mine are of a Cornish underbeam engine house over a masonry shaft about 350 feet deep. Read More


Fairplay Iron Mine Engine House

The most extensive remains of fairplay Mine are of a Cornish underbeam engine house over a masonry shaft about 350 feet deep. Read More


Favourite Mine

Favourite Mine is a free mine which worked coal seams in the Pennant Group (middle Upper Coal Measures) via a drift. Read More


Flaxley Abbey

Flaxley Abbey was originally a Cistercian monastery built in the vale of Castiard to commemorate the spot where, in 1143 in the reign of King Stephen, Milo Fitzwalter, Earl of... Read More


Flour Mill Colliery

Although Flour Mill was first galed in 1843, a chemical works had been built on the site by 1844. Read More


Forest House

Forest House is on Cinder Hill, Coleford. It was built in about 1795, with walls two feet thick. Read More


Forest of Dean Local History Library

The library of the Forest of Dean Local History Society is now housed at a secure location in Lydney. Read More

Back to Top