Resources


Coleford railway Bridge

Construction of the Coleford Railway, which ran from Wyesham Junction, near Monmouth, to Coleford, began in 1880, the contractors being Reed Bros & Co. Read More


Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool Railway

The Act of Incorporation of the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool Railway was passed on 20 August 1853. Read More


Commoning – Animals in the Dean

Commoning as related to the Forest is principally the custom of local people keeping animals in the woods. Read More


Courtfield, Welsh Bicknor

Associated with the Vaughan family since 1563, originally called "Greenfield", the house was the childhood home of Henry V, who lived there from 1387 to 1394. Read More


Crump Meadow Colliery

Work was started around 1829 by Edward Protheroe, the galee, but coal was not reached until 1839. Read More


Dark Hill Colliery

The Dark Hill gale was awarded to David Mushet in 1841, and by 1847 he had also obtained the neighbouring Shutcastle gale. Read More


Darkhill

In 1818 David Mushet, of Coleford, built a cupola for metallurgical experimentation at Darkhill., where a year or two later Moses Teague found a way to 1818 David Mushet, of... Read More


Dilke Hospital, Cinderford

Following the death of the Forest's Member of Parliament (Sir Charles Dilke) in 1911, fund raising commenced to establish a local community hospital. Read More


Dog Kennel Bridge

Dog Kennel Bridge carried the Coleford Railway, which ran from Wyesham Junction, near Monmouth, to Coleford, over a minor road between Whitecliff and High Meadow Farm. Read More


East Slade Colliery

Sinking of East Slade Pit was begun around 1832 by George and James Meek, who assigned their rights to the Cheltenham and Forest of Dean Coal Co. Read More

Back to Top