Tag: Mines & Quarries


Nelson Colliery

Although a licence to erect a steam engine was granted in 1825, little work appears to have been done until about 1841, when shaft sinking reached 168 ft. Read More


New Bowson Colliery

Although the Bowson deep gale was granted to Cornelius Walding in 1843, serious development was not begun until 1864, when the Great Western Deep Coal Co. began sinking two shafts. Read More


New Fancy Colliery

John and then Edward Protheroe appear to have had interests in the New Fancy gale since the early 1800s, and it was certainly being worked by the latter in 1840... Read More


New Found Out Mine

New Found Out Pit was in existence by 1841, when it was producing 12 tons of coal per day, presumably from the Coleford High Delf Seam of the Pennant Group. Read More


Newbridge Engine Colliery

Newbridge Engine Colliery was working by 1833 when the owners proposed that the Forest of Dean Railway should extend its tramroad from Whimsey to the colliery. Read More


Northern United Colliery

Northern United was the last deep gale to be developed, after it had been purchased from the Lydney and Crump Meadow Collieries Co. Ltd by Henry Crawshay and Co. Ltd. Read More


Park Hill Colliery

Park Hill was originally galed as an iron mine, but in 1842 coal seams in the Pennant Group were galed to William Morgan. Read More


Parkend Colliery

Edward Protheroe was one of the biggest coal owners in the Parkend area, having interests in the Parkend gale from around 1820 until his death in 1857. Read More


Phoenix Free Mine

Phoenix Mine (or Level) is a free mine owned by Robin Morgan of Hopewell Colliery Museum. Read More


Pithead Baths, Princess Royal Colliery

The Pithead Baths building was erected in 1939 by W.M. Taylor for the Miners Welfare committee. It is a starkly cubic functional building with a rectangular stair and water tower. Read More

Back to Top