Did you know that, over time, the Forest of Dean has been:
- Home to wolves and bears
- Invaded by Romans
- The main source of Britain’s iron
- A place without towns and villages
- Hunted in by kings
- Nearly empty of woodland
- The scene of battles and riots
- Protected to make ships for the Royal Navy
- Full of noise, smoking chimneys and children working in deep, dark mines
Here is the rich and startling story of ‘The Vurrest’, complete with cave lions, buried treasure, forts, castles, secret factories, tunnels, prisoners of war and Harry Potter. If you want to know more, pick up a copy here ...
For children, teachers, Foresters, and everyone interested in the history of this special place.
Written by award-winning local children's author, Andy Seed, and illustrated by Ursula Hurst, the book is a good family read which adults will also enjoy. Production of the book was funded by the Foresters’ Forest, National Lottery Heritage funded landscape partnership programme.